Applications can be picked up on the Second Wednesday of each month between the hours of 9:00am to Noon and from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
You may also apply online, at any time, by clicking here.
The application process starts with a visit to our school to pick up your application packet.
Where are we located? 7200 Mississippi Street, Suite 100 Merrillville, Indiana. 46410
You will be asked a few simple questions to determine if you qualify:
1. Are you at least 18 years of age?
2. Are you a high school graduate or do you have a G.E.D. certificate?
3. Have you completed two semesters of high school algebra, or equivalent, with at least a “C” in each semester?
Grades must be verified by submission of transcripts directly mailed or faxed to our apprenticeship office by the school where the classes were taken.
***It is your responsibility to contact your school and request that your transcripts be sent to us!***
You will need to bring these things with you when you come in:
1. Identification in the form of a valid driver’s license.
2. A NON-REFUNDABLE $40.00 cash only application processing fee.
After you return your completed application you will need to provide:
1. A copy of your birth certificate.
2. An official high school transcript. If you have a GED, this document is required ALONG with a transcript for whatever time you did spend in high school.
NOTE: You will have 28 days to return the application to our office. These documents can be hand-delivered or mailed. If mailed, the mailing date must be no later than 28 days from the date the application was picked up.
Transcripts, birth certificate, and DD-214 must also be received by our office by that date or your application will be voided; you will have to start the process over again and you will be charged an additional application fee.
****We cannot accept your documents without a completed application.Any paperwork sent to the school that can not be matched up with a completed application will be discarded.****
You have picked up your application, paid your fee and made sure that all required paperwork was returned within the 28 day deadline…. What happens next?
• Your application and paperwork is reviewed to verify that it is complete and that you meet ALL the minimum requirements.
• You will then be scheduled to come to the training center to take the national aptitude test.
• Applicants who successfully pass the aptitude test will be scheduled for an interview with the committee. Applicants who do not meet the minimum required score of 6 on the aptitude test will have to wait six months before becoming eligible for re-testing.
• Each applicant who is interviewed is given a score, and entered into a database.
• When the committee determines that we can begin a new class, applicants are selected from the database. The applicants will be selected starting with the highest score.
• Before beginning initial training, each eligible applicant must submit to a physical and a drug screening that is paid for by the JATC.
• Only those selected applicants who pass the physical and drug screening will begin training in the next class.
Electrical Training Center
7200 Mississippi Street STE 100
Merrillville, IN 46410